Dallas Love Field (IATA: DAL, ICAO: KDAL, FAA LID: DAL) is a city-owned public airport 6 miles (9.7 km) northwest of downtown Dallas, Texas. It was Dallas’ main airport until 1974 when Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) opened. Love Field covers an area of 1,300 acres (530 ha) at an elevation of 487 feet (148 m) above mean sea level and has two runways.
Love Field is the birthplace, corporate headquarters, and a major operating base of Southwest Airlines; as of August 2021, Southwest has a 95% market share at the airport. Several full-service fixed-base operators (FBOs) provide general aviation services: fuel, maintenance, hangar rentals, and air charters. The City of Dallas Department of Aviation headquarters is on the grounds of the airport.
KDAL presents an ideal subject airport for the sim enthusiast as it presents a good blend of airport size (not needing excessive taxi time), has non-stop traffic making it ideal for AI (hub for Southwest Airlines) and is great for Virtual Airline Ops and Virtual Corporate Pilots, with a great view of downtown Dallas during approach and departure.
PhotoRico Scenery targeted this airport early in the summer of 2022, and expedited the development so that flight simmers need not wait any longer for a decent representation of this airport. It was developed with the virtual airline pilot in mind, hosting an average performing desktop PC. The scenery offers a good representation of the airport without sacrificing performance, emphasizing ground and building exterior details, and even some key visual references.
PhotoRico KDAL was developed with the average equipped sim pilot in mind. It features different complexity levels to suit different user needs. A scenery complexity level of Normal/Dense will provide a sufficient level if detail to make the simulation experience enjoyable.
- Every single major building, hangar, parking garage, and key airport feature has been modeled in detail. Terminal textures were made from actual pictures taken by the developer.
- Ground Textures are highly detailed and feature all the current ground markings and signange, using HD Texturizing methods.
- Airport has excellent night environment blending, which makes for a great airport to operate at night. Terminal features 3D Dynamic Ligts. Taxiway has custom 3D Lights with bloom and ground refelections. Runways 31L, 31R and 13L feature custom animated MALSF Approach lighting.
- Airport immediate surrounding has been modeled, including Mockingbird Ave shops, and the Southwest Airlines HQ and Training Facilities.
- PhotoRico KDAL includes custom modeled jetways that use native FSX code. This allows docking operation from a simple CTL-J command, as well as providing the ability for the jetways to dock to new generation AI Aircraft.